top of page
C_Users_Marine_Google Drive_ALL_Cernay_N

History of the Château de Cernay

From the 10th to the 12th century, the suzerainty of Cernay's estate belonged to the Earls of Breteuil family. Under Philippe Auguste (1180-1223), three lords shared the fief of Cernay among themselves: two vassals Hugues d'Hellenvilliers and Henri de Vitot, as well as the lord of Bois Anzeray. At the end of the 13th century, the property returned to Lambert de Cernay, nobleman of La Neuve Lyre.

During the Hundred Years' War, the estate of Cernay belonged to Robert Danvy but was confiscated by King Henry V of England (1413-1422). In 1469, a second Robert Danvy, squire, could not claim his property because he was at the service of Monsignor the constable Louis of Luxembourg, earl of Saint Paul, to whom Louis XI had his head cut off in 1475. From 1482 to 1562, the David family was lord and patron of Cernay. It was in the 15th century that a first stone building was built.

François de la Plesse, already lord of the fief of Sommaire in 1562, becomes lord of the parish in 1572. He confesses his fiefdom to the Duke of Alençon on February 12, 1577 (a seigneurial act by which a vassal declares his newly aquired or inherited possesions to its suzerain). His widow, lady Nicole de Feugueray replaced him in 1588. Romain de Plesse, their son, succeeded them. But having died without posterity, his sister Françoise de la Plesse inherited it and carried the fief of Cernay to her husband, Guillaume Le Cerf in 1601. The domain of Cernay remained in the Le Cerf family until the French Revolution.

In 1789, Monsieur Labbé de Cernay was lord of the parish. It was at this time that the Church of Cernay, placed under the patronage of Saint Antonin, fell into the public hands like many other properties and churches at that time. It therefore became a disused chapel which was sold as a barn and remained so for more than two centuries.

In 1846, Mr. de Cernay sold his Castle to the Cavelier d'Esclavelle family who lived there until the end of the 19th century before selling it to Mr. Alcide Poulet, ancestor of the current owners and a lawyer at the Court of Paris .

The first construction did not include the two current wings, which were added by Alcide. He married Denise Joséphine Roy, widow of Benoist Roy with whom she had had a son: Joseph Louis. Alcide adopted Joseph Louis on March 29, 1911 and their son was therefore called "Roy Poulet".

Joseph Louis Roy Poulet married Suzanne Julia Fritel before leaving to fight for France during the First World War where he perished on June 23, 1916. He was decorated with the Legion of Honor. His remains were brought back to the family cemetery at Château de Cernay 10 years after his death in 1926.

Andrée Roy Poulet, his last daughter, married Francis Labelle, a manufacturer from the region, who became the sole owner of Cernay after a terrible fire that ravaged the Château in 1980. The property was then completely refurbished as a hunting lodge. His son, Edouard Labelle, great grandson of Alcide Roy Poulet, revived the estate by creating three lodgings there: Le Château, la Maison du Garde and La Chapelle since 2000.

Chapelle avant travaux.JPG

Histoire de la Chapelle de Cernay

The church of Cernay is dedicated to Saint Antonin d'Apamée, a Christian martyr of the 2nd century, who refused to carve pagan idols, preferring the construction of a Church. He became the Patron Saint of ecclesiastical stone constructions.

The cult of Saint Antonin was born in France in Pamiers in the Pyrenees. Roger II (1070-1124), Count of Foix, went to the city of Apamea in Syria during the First Crusade from where he brought back the relics of the Holy Martyr. On his return Pamiers Cathedral was dedicated to Saint Antonin. In 1295, the city became the seat of a bishopric and is located on the road to Saint Jacques de Compostela. The cult thus spread throughout France and particularly in Normandy.

The foundations of the church of Cernay date from the 12th century, while the architecture is dated from the 15th century. The major interest of this church was its monumental ogival stained glass window as well as its vaults (traditional of Norman churches) restored in 2006.

In 1792, following the French Revolution, the church fell into the public domain and was sold to an individual who assigned it as a barn until its restoration in 2006 by the current owners of the Château. The chapel of Cernay is now classified as a character cottage: this label emphasizes the quality of the traditional habitat when it has been restored with respect for materials. You will be charmed by the quality of the architecture, the interior decoration as well as the preserved environment around the accommodation .

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
bottom of page